Sunday, November 29, 2015

Christmas Wrapping Station and Block Shelf

This week I decided to set up a wrapping station for the girls. I set one up for them last year and it was a great success, this year though I had a bit of an ulterior motive.




A few weeks ago I decided to sacrifice a bookshelf (book space is always in short supply here!) and create a block shelf for the girls. It's been a great success-with the girls engaging in block play alot more than they were.




With Christmas coming up I decided to Christmafy (that's a word, right?) their block shelf. To do this I simply added some Christmas items to their discovery windows.

Added a basket of large jingle bells-I used these in the block space in the classroom with great success last year, so I figured the girls might enjoy them too. I then added a bowl of assorted sized present bows and switched Squiggles favourite block building item, coasters, with some Christmas ones.

I decided to take it one step further and wrap the girls' wooden blocks to turn them into Christmas blocks. I spent two nights wrapping blocks before my lightbub moment-get the girls to wrap them! (Duh!)







To create the wrapping station I simply placed some blocks, sticky tape and scissors on top of our art cupboard. Easy!

I didn't even need to invite the girls to wrap the blocks, as soon as they saw the set up-they asked if they could!


The finished products make a great addition to the block shelf and when they want to they unwrap and rewrap them again.

Please always supervise your infant/child at play.  Please stay within arms reach and never leave infants/children unattended.  You know you're infant/child best, use your own judgement-considering your infant/child's temperament, habits, behaviour and development before you play with a new play medium.

No comments:

Post a Comment