Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Mini Construction Site


Once again we're following along with Nurture Store's Simple play:: complex learning series, I'm sharing our small world construction site today-the first time we played it was more a sensory play than true small world play but it's definitely a mini construction site that's brought hours of play at our place.

I made the construction site in October last year and it's still getting plenty of play. I didn't actually set out to make this for Bubbles, I was copying this idea I saw on pinterest and creating a Christmas present for my 3year old nephew (his is the one pictured above) however Bubbles loved it so much that I had to make her one too.

To make it I used some fish rocks that my mum gave me (they'd been sitting in her cupboard for 7years unused), some glass beads ($0.50 from Dimmeys) and some rocks from the beach and our garden. I put it all together in a filebox which one of our wedding presents was packaged in all those years ago.

Bubbles has so much fun driving the trucks back and forth in the rocks, especially the fish rocks which make a fantastic noise when rubbed together and have quite a different texture to anything else. When she got bored of that she tried balancing some of the glass beads on her truck, she then decided to use the trucks as cups and fill them up with rocks and then empty them out again, finally she ditched the trucks and just ran her hands through the rocks.

As I said at the beginning this was more a sensory exploration for Bubbles than a small world play however since then she's also added some signs from her railway and little people to act as truck drivers, each time she plays with it is different which for me is what makes this construction site so wonderful-the play opportunities are endless!

Please always supervise your infant/child at play.  Please stay within arms reach and never leave infants/children unattended.  You know you're infant/child best, use your own judgement-considering your infant/child's temperament, habits, behaviour and development before you play with a new play medium.

http://nurturestore.co.uk/simple-play-complex-learning

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for linking up to Tuesday Tots with your fun mini construction sensory tub. I've featured it in a rock'n good activities round up this week :)

    ReplyDelete